Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goals, Re-evaluated

Recently I have gotten into the habit of letting life happen to me, rather than being in control of my life. Now, I don't mean that I am trying to control every little aspect of my life. What I mean is that I have not been good at making conscious decisions about my life.

I have always been a firm believer in goals. I believe that goal setting is essential. Yes, life is about the journey, not the destination, but do you want to choose what road to take or do you want to wander aimlessly? Goals help you determine the path you will take.

Lately (read: now) I have been feeling extremely overwhelmed. I don’t feel that I am able to accomplish anything in any part of my life: home, work, personal development, relationships. I feel like I am floundering in a way that I never have before and today I realized that it is because I am letting life happen to me, rather than making conscious decisions about my life.

Every minute of every day we each face a small fork in the road. The one we choose is our life. The one we don’t choose is no longer an option. We don’t end up where we are in life because of one great big decision, but because of a million small decisions.

Because I have not made conscious decisions about the small things, I now feel like I am spinning my wheels. I am overwhelmed. I am floundering.

Enter, goals.

It has been too long since I have really re-evaluted the goals that I have for my life. I have been putting a million other things before taking care of me. I have reached that point where I am not as good at taking care of the people and responsibilities in my life as I could or should be, because I am not taking care of myself.

It is time for me to really look at my life, re-evaluate my goals, and determine what I want my life to look like. I won’t get there, if I don’t know where I am going. I realize that road I am getting ready to go down is not an easy one, but with God at my side, I am ready for the challenge. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I have been feeling the same way, and it is really because I am not making those small decisions count either. This really made me want to think about those "small" decisions, the ones that seem insignificant, but definitely are not.

    ReplyDelete